Saturday, November 22, 2008

catlike speed and reflexes...

A naked baby is a dangerous baby. The business end is ready to blow at any time. It's simply frightening to see a diaperless baby for any length of time. When I do well child exams, I make sure to be quick when it comes to diaperless baby time. I'd rather not get pooped or peed on, if at all possible.

I am constantly reminded of the fragility of my non-poop-covered clothes. In pushing on a the belly of a little 2 month old the other day, I created such an uproar inside her, that a gurgle turned into a largre rumble and a quite adult sized fart.

Yes, we all had a good laugh, mom, myself and the child. but the consequenses would have been dire had she not been wearing that huggies. I was right in the line of fire.

But I'm really only fooling myself if I think I'm going to make it out unscathed. I've already been soiled in other rotations, and in this one. So what I should really be practicing (other than my body-washing technique) is my speed and reflexes.

Anticipate that the little baby boy is going to try pee on you when the flippin' thing is aiming right at you like a little flesh colored fire hose. (with seemingly the same amount of power. It could definetely clear a rowdy crowd nearly as well as the conventional fire hose.)

I need to know that blank look of confusion and anticipation that appears on the face of a snot covered three year old just before they sneeze right in your face. Cover up, be damned!

I need to be like Neo, in The Matrix, time needs to slow down, just a bit, for me. I need to recognize the signs of impending disgusting, and maneuver through the air in such a way to avoid all the contaminated fluid flying my way.

So here I come, with my catlike speed an reflexes, I'm betting this kid has strep, but to be sure I need to shove that horrible, long q-tip down his throat and make him gag.

I should get a face shield... like that of a fire-fighter.

I don't.

"Hey there you little germ monger... I"m gunna cram this thing down your throat, and it's gunna make you gag... I know, I know, it sucks. I HATED this as a kid, but it's quick, and then it's all done. Just try not to barf on me."

Now I don't say this, in so many words, but close. I'm definetely thinking it.

In goes the q-tip, and here comes the gag.... and an instantaneous cough... I feel my face peppered with spit.

crap.

shoulda worn the fire-fighter helmet.

4 mintues later, I find out that the cough shrapnal was indeed teeming with strep.

excellent.

I had already washed off my face, and hands.... but, alas, it was too late. the next day... with my sinuses plugged, sore throat, and headache, I headed back for more.

you got me, kid, you got me. if it wasn't you, it was one of the other 20 something i see per day. but you know what... I like it.

I just need to work on my matrix moves. I need to be more like Neo, and less like Chris Farley in 'Tommy Boy'.

"I was checking the a ... specs on the end line.... for the rotary...... girder. I'm retarded."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9mBn9bMB-g

5 comments:

Erin said...

Ha.

Blog about getting punched in the ER :)

OG said...

You have the speed of youth, and I the wisdom of age. Having 3 kids and 3 grandkids, I escaped all on my peds rotation...
330+ WWC, and 573 overall patients the score was still 573 to 0

Ichabod said...

who got punched in the ER? it wasn't me, was it?

EC said...

First of all, way to blog once every season.

secondly, I'm an erin who was kicked in the ER, so I take that seriously, and didn't somehow make that first comment.

Glad to know you're alive.

Ichabod said...

yea, the blogging frequency has gone way down since hawaii.... seems i've had less time. now, though, i'm getting more in this peds rotation. i'll do better... i hope