Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Where it's at...I got two turn tables and a dictaphone.

I can remember, way back when, in a far off land that they call Ohio... a land of farms, amusement parks, people with unusually southern accents; a swing state... I can remember at this first rotation of mine hearing a doctor dictate so fast, that he sounded like the guy from the old micro-machine commercials. If you were a baby of the 80's... you know what I mean. If you weren't, or don't for some reason, youtube it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlRgbU3ZJ5g

I was quite amazed, anyhow.

I can remember even further back, having to muddle my way through a number of dictations for school. It was painful, even with a cheat sheet. I could not believe that this would actually save time... and I certainly felt a little bit weird about the whole thing. It's more awkward than you'd think, Captain Kirk-ing your way through a patient encounter.

"Beeedle-dooodle-dee! Captain's log, star date 23.9, rounded off to... the nearest decimal point....." I have picked up this little gray device, and, started speaking into it... really fast, disregarding all human contact, or other occurrences in the room.

Weird.

Well....... that's what I thought at first.
But it didn't take more than a day for me to love it.

What's this? No more hand writing SOAP notes!?!? No gigantic H7P for a well child check?

Awesome.

Stellar.

Fantastic.

Fantasmagorical!

Don't call me captain kirk... but you can call me Captain Nerd. I don't care, dictating is sweet.

CN

2 comments:

OG said...

It was slow, so I was reading your blog, with Dr C ripping off a dictation in my other ear.... ironic!!

EC said...

I cannot wait to get back to a dictaphone. Internal med Admit H&P, not allowed to do so.

ARRRRGH!

--erin