Monday, July 28, 2008

I must have done something right...

Today was a good day...

"Do you want to do your evaluation now?"

"Sure." I say kind of excitedly.

I'm sort of like Angela from 'The Office' in that I think I thrive on being judged. It's not something I'm proud of, but it's sort of true. I think it stems from the fact that I feel it necessary to continually prove my worthiness as a PA student because of my less than stellar Undergrad grades.

Let's just say I pulled down my class average.

So, from that point on, I worked hard to make sure that any judgement passed upon me, as a PA student, would be positive. And if it's not, then I deserve that too... and I can take it and make the necessary changes to become the best PA I can be.

So, Bring it on Kalauawa... bring it.

I guess it's unfair for me to say that I had worry running through my mind, he had already said that he'd given me a good review, and I was one of the best students to come through the joint. (wow... I've got him fooled!) And I must say, that made my day.... REALLY made my day.

don't let it go to your head, dummy. you still have it in your amazing screw-up power to SCREW IT UP.

So I followed him down the hall to his office. I have a seat in an old wooden chair. It matches the rest of the clinic perfectly, in that it appears old, worn and unimpressive. But once I get into it, once I give it the smallest chance, I love it. It's as comfortable as any office chair I've ever sat in. It exceeds expectations.

Before I can even get a word out....

"Off the record, I think all this stuff going on between the Vikings, the Packers and Favre is crazy. They're all talking to eachother... I think Favre will end up with the Vikings."

(He is a huge Vikings fan.)

This is NOT the first time we've talked football, and this conversation lasts a few minutes. When it's over, both agree that if Favre can't play in Green Bay (which we both think is the right thing to do) that we want him to play for Minnesota.

He then, sans segway... save maybe a little sigh fading from the tail end of a laugh, shows me my ratings.... all above average, except for one, which is average. He tells me this is the best rating he thinks he's ever given. He gives an 'average' rating if you are where he expects for you to be, as a competent student.

Now, at my last rotation, I received all 'Superior' ratings... but that was kind of meaningless. They didn't put the time and effort into it that Dr. K did. I think they just liked me. Not that I did poorly, they told me that I did well, but I doubt that I was 'Superior' in all aspects of the rotation.

Whatever the case may have been then, after hearing Dr. Kalauawa's review of my performance, I'm flattered, happy, proud... and feel like a fraud - all at the same time. I think they're all valid things to be feeling at the time. This, I've decided after more than a few minutes to think on it.

But then came the whammy...

"So what I'm saying is that when you're looking for a job, if you want, you've got one here."

I'm speechless, really. They told us at school,before the shoved us outta the nest, that this might happen, and yet, I was not expecting it.... not at all.

"Wow, thank you! That REALLY means a lot to me."

As one of my old stand-by bands, Relient K, once said, "I must have done something right..."

Shoot....

it did occur to me that maybe he says the same dang thing to everyone who rolls through threre, but hey... it made my day none the less.

Now I just have to finish my flippin' geriatric mental health case study thing..........ughh. did the day just get worse?

2 comments:

EC said...

awesome news dude. I'm very happy for you. I think I'm about to get one of those meaningless evaluations here. And, you are no fraud.

Jen B. said...

AH!! That is fantastic! Congratulations!!!